Standards and Curriculum Framework
The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th-grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.
Middle School Resources
- Enhanced Scope and Sequence – searchable lesson plans by keyword and SOL
- Instructional Videos for Teachers – videos provided as support for the implementation of the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- Algebra Readiness Initiative – information to prepare students for success in algebra
- SOL Practice Items – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2009 Mathematics SOL
- VMAST Practice Items – Provide examples of supports and simplifications applied to test items to make them more accessible to eligible students with disabilities
Released SOL Tests – Released SOL tests in all subjects
– Provides detail on changes included in the 2009 Mathematics SOL
currently available for kindergarten through grade five (good review)
– algebraic properties included in the 2009 Mathematics SOLs in grades 3 – Algebra II.
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information
- Mathematics Vocabulary – definitions of concepts in mathematics that teachers and students should know and understand in order to learn math content
- Algeblocks Training – Streaming Video – online training for teachers who either need an introduction to the use of Algeblocks or need to reacquaint themselves with the manipulative
- Economics and Personal Finance – Instructional resources to assist in meeting the requirements economics education and financial literacy requirements for all middle and high school students.
teacher materials to aid schools in implementing a computer mathematics course using graphing calculators as the primary programming device
Manual for teachers with samples of mathematics and science lessons supporting the 2001 mathematics and the 2003 science standards using the state-approved scientific calculators
This resource includes worksheets for six programs to accompany videos on the Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Texas Instrument Graphing Calculator.
Worksheets and explanations contained on this Web page were designed to support teachers participating in the viewing of the DOE six-part series entitled “Using the CASIO 9850 G+ with the Algebra SOL”.
This resource document is intended to assist classroom teachers of algebra and biology in implementing the Virginia Standards of Learning for mathematics and science.
- Thinkfinity – collection of websites covering core-curricular areas with standards-based lesson plans, student interactives and other resources
Ideas for Teachers – Integrating Technology with the Virginia SOLs
Resources and suggestions for incorporating technology into the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) middle school core curricular subjects.